Tuesday, October 30, 2007

THANK YOU PROFESSOR ANDREW WARDLAW, I THINK!

This headline captured my attention this morning "Untidy beds may keep us healthy". Upon further reading, this article from the BBC news went on to say "Failing to make your bed in the morning may actually help keep you healthy, scientists believe." Apparently, an unmade bed helps to keep your bed dry, thus preventing dust mites from inhabiting your mattress and pillows.

I, who absolutely hates bugs so much so that I couldn't even post a picture of a dust mite here on my blog, seriously considered not making my bed each morning so as to alleviate any potential breeding grounds for the abhorred dust mite. However, I am a bed maker. Every morning, I must make my bed even if the rest of my room bears a little clutter. And each evening, there is no better feeling than climbing into a fully made bed. I can sleep soundly with dust bunnies covering the floor under my bed, but give me wrinkled sheets and I will toss and turn all the night long.
Much to my delight, my dilemma was solved when Professor Wardlaw, later in the article declared "It is true that mites need humid conditions to thrive and cannot survive in very dry ( desert like) conditions. However, most homes in the UK are sufficiently humid for the mites to do well and I find it hard to believe that simply not making your bed would have any impact on the overall humidity." Thank you, Professor Wardlaw because even while I do not reside in the UK, Michigan is famous for its humidity, thus you have resolved my dilemma and put my mind at ease....er, I think!
Image taken from here.

7 comments:

Richard said...

It depends how your bed is untidy. The most health benefit is derived from exposing as much of your bedding to the air as possible.

I thought this was an old article (and checking the date, I see it is) because I used that argument with Sofia a while back.

One argument for making your bed is that it forces you to actually complete something first thing in the morning. Setting you on the path to a day filled with accomplishments.

Margie said...

well... now I have a good reason for not making my bed. Not that i needed one anyway. I only make my bed once a week when I change the sheets... and I used to always time that with my gram coming over because i always got a lecture...

KayMac said...

Richard: Holy cow! you are right..this was from 2005! I obviously picked it up from another website and never glanced at the date....and to think I could have addressed this dust mite issue two years ago?!! oh my!

Yes, agree w/ the first thing in the morning.

Margie: Making your bed to impress gram...good reason. Wait until you have a M-I-L someday...it will be worse...lol!

hippieange83 said...

To what purpose does one "make" a bed? So that it will be "unmade" each night? This makes no sence. Also, anyone that you need to impress has no need to be in your bedroom anyway, thus ruling out any possible use one coud invent as to the "making" of a bed.

KayMac said...

Hippie Angel: LOL, your comment reminded me of when people used to ask me WHY I golfed...chasing a little white ball all over the place! Clearly, bed making is a preference that for some strange reason that would make no sense to all the non-bed makers in the world, gives me some comfort and happiness. And my preference is in NO WAY an indictment on the non-bed makers of the world, for some of my favorite and most loved people are non-bed makers. My own daughter is non-bed maker and I find her to be a virtuous woman! And as for impressing people, I would hope that I possess far greater skills, wisdom and abilities than the skill of bed making with which to impress! Lastly, I do confess that I share my bedroom, albeit not my bed, with an adoring "male" each and every night. But Sparky has no preference on bed making one way or the other. He only cares that I let him out for a BR break first thing in the morning, and on occassion, in the middle of the night.

David said...

Thanks Kaymac. I don't make my bed each morning. I leave my wife in it when I go to work. Each day I come home and the bed is made. If I had my way I would leave it unmade. However, my wife was trying to get our children to do their chores (clean room, make bed, etc.) and she was waiting for the argument that her bed wasn't made so how could she ask her children to make the bed. Well that was a good question. I let it go. And she makes the bed every day. We compromise. It works. To each his own I guess.
D.

KayMac said...

David: That's one thing I love about being a parent...our children keep us so honest!