Friday, October 06, 2006

CZECH LANGUAGE LESSON 101

Our dear friend, Peta, laid down the challange for us to learn her language, seeing that she always has to use ours. So, here is the first installment of our lessons. Let's see who can put some sentences together!

láska [lu:s-ka] love
Bůh [boo:-h] God
ahoj [u-hoy] hello / hi
jak se máš? [yuk ce maa:-sh] how are you
já [yaa:] I,
mety [pronouce shortly "tea"] you
on [aun] he
jídlo [yee-dlo] food
pití [pe-tee] drink(s)

By the way, my grandmother immigrated to the U.S.A. from Krakow, Poland, so I definately should have known "Jak se mas?" I took 2 semesters of Polish in college, and 3 years of Spanish in high school but sadly, I don't recall much from either. Shame on me!

Thanks, Peta...for helping me to become a student again. I hope to make my teacher proud!

Here is my first sentence:

Ja laska Buh!

5 comments:

Margie said...

ja' láska Bůh, mety, & jidl

Becky said...

Ahoj, jak se máš? Bůh láska(s) mety. On is the jídlo and pití of my soul.

Yeah, it's a litte broken.

Dear friend,
já láska mety!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

you all make me proud, really! :)) you're doing great :)

just, I'll disappoint you guys a bit - "láska" is a noun... "milovat" is the verb as "to love". Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realize this...:((

and the it goes like this:
I love - miluju
you love - miluješ
she/he loves - miluje

we love - milujeme
you (plural) love - milujete
they love - milují

Czech is pretty much difficult, I know!


plus...sorry, but another thing: it probably appeared wrong in your email - I wrote:

já [yaa:] I, me
ty [pronouce shortly "tea"] you

Anonymous said...

but Kathy, I'm so proud you remember "jak se mas" :))

thanks for the beautiful pic!

Anonymous said...

you're very welcome :)