Wednesday, May 24, 2006

DESIRES OF MY HEART

I had 3 brothers and longed for a sister. I was about 4 years old and asked my mom to have another baby so I could have a sister. She replied, "If I got pregnant, I could end up having 3 more boys." That shut me up...I decided I like the odds as they were. I had so much fun with my brothers growing up, but deep in my heart...I always longed for a sister. Today, I am blessed with several "sisters" who are as close to me as any biological sister could be.
For years, I longed for children. Year after year, I had to fend off the comments of others asking when I was going to start a family. My heart was breaking because it looked like that was not in God's plan for me. 10 years into my marriage, I learned that I was pregnant. I had a rough pregnancy and I thought I might lose the baby, went through an emergency c-section, but there she was...my daughter...the desire of my heart. I pretty much knew that having lots of children would not happen for me. I was deeply grateful that God entrusted me with one.
No sisters to several sisters....no children to a wonderful daughter. So, it was for me again, just before Mother's Day, to have God wonderously gift my heart's desire. I received a Mother's Day card and flowers from 3 wonderful young women. They each wrote a simple and loving note. Tonight, I will go hear one of them sing her solo in her school concert. I wouldn't miss it for the world.
I have been blessed with several "kids" that I get to mother. It was only this morning that I realized that once again, God had met another desire of my heart. And I am so thoroughly grateful.
Proverbs 31:28a--Her children rise up and bless her.

3 comments:

Daughter of the Most High King said...

You're such a great mom. Thanks for being there for us. We all love you so much.

Melissa

Peta said...

oh, this is such a sweet post. I'm happy to hear that you are so loved by people around you. You really seem to be such a sweet woman!!

mel capra said...

aww mom! I love you very much!