Friday, September 22, 2006

ROBERT UPDATE

I saw Robert this morning. He was leaning over a trash can as I pulled in to 7-11. He smiled when he saw me and came right over to talk. He is doing well he said. We chatted for a few minutes about the weather before I gave him some bottles and we both went on our way.

I was hoping to see Robert walking in our shoes. But he had on a different pair of sneakers that I hadn't seen before. His gait was not the shuffle I was used to seeing, but an awkward side to side gait. I did ask him how our shoes had fit. He said they had been fine, but didn't add anything else. So, I quickly changed the subject.

Nebissi, my Hindu friend, had told me that Robert had been wearing different shoes this week, so I was prepared for that. I have no clue as to why he isn't wearing our shoes. Perhaps he didn't like them. Perhaps he sold them or gave them away. Perhaps he likes them but wanted to wear something else. But one thing I am sure of...they were a love gift from our community to Robert. Freely given. And I am just as happy and excited as ever that those pair of shoes were the open door between our community and Robert.

In the past, I think I would have been disappointed that I didn't see Robert in our shoes. Today, I was just happy to see Robert! Who knows what God has planned?

8 comments:

Sara said...

learning to obey and not needing to be satisfied with the results...wisdom.

Margie said...

you have got to be one of the sweetest, smartest women I have ever met!

Praying and praising for you!!

JT said...

absolutely. if we acted just for the purpose of seeing the results... we would never serve! Knowing that these things are done in our Fathers name and for Him is where its at. I also agree with Margie... you are so sweet and super smart! love you!

Pat said...

You are so wise, it's amazing. Human nature wants to see the results from their kind gestures, but you've learned to get beyond that..God must be pleased.

Anonymous said...

there's a lot people should learn from you...me included. However, I hope that Robert will wear your shoes someday :))

ouizard said...

maybe he gave them to someone whom he thought needs it more. or maybe he's been saving them...

but everyday always makes room for a special occasion. i hope he wears them soon, if they're still waiting. :)

forming bonds with people is powerful -- it saves suicidals, comforts the sick and the dying, or just brightens someone's day. people won't always be around, so seeing someone you care about is a gift. seeing robert in those shoes is a bonus.

may there be more people like you and your community :D

KayMac said...

TH...good points. It is amazing how powerful the need for connection is. Have you ever read anything about or by Mother Theresa? I think you would enjoy it. Also, there is a book called "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. I think you would like that one alot too.

ouizard said...

I will check out that book -- 'Blue Like Jazz'. Thank you.

Mother Teresa writes simply but brilliantly :) I incorporated part of her poem -- the one that says "what you spend years creatin, others can destroy overnight; create anyway" -- in my grad speech about five years ago.